Tuesday 26 October 2010

Where is home?

Ottawa, Houses of Parliament


I feel like E.T. and I want to go home, but where is home? Coming back to Ottawa, the Capital of our Dominion, the city has changed, but it remains a small town. Now urban growth sees condos grow like mushrooms and the price is anything between half a million to several million dollars, the University of Ottawa, my alma mater, has grown with many new faculty buildings, obviously many rich alumni have given to the University. The Rideau Canal built by Colonel By and the Royal Engineers in 1834 to move troops rapidly in case of American invasion has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. The capital is also cosmopolitan now, much more so than a decade ago.
By Ward Market

I know that if we return to Ottawa, where we have many friends and were we have had a home in some fashion since 1976, there would be a big adjustment. It is all a question of optics, I suppose. Rome is a small town in many ways and it is also Rome the Eternal City. The same can be said of many other cities, there's the image and the myth about a place and then daily reality.

It is nice to return and to meet so many old friends, the people we know here, we have known for decades.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I were Canadian; I am wasted here in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur-spo, have you ever thought of Immigration. All the info is there,
    www.cic.gc.ca

    ReplyDelete