Tuesday 5 October 2010

Athens day one

Well here we are in Athens, Greece, my Dad got here on time without problems. However the crisis started the minute we got in the room. He opened his small case and said, I can’t find my medication, I must have left it all at home on the kitchen counter. He takes about 7 different pills a day, the most important being one drug for his heart and he cannot do without it. This is a 2 week trip and I thought what am I going to do.

I said to him look into your suitcase, it is probably there, No he replies, I did not pack them, what are we going to do. I could not get a straight answer from him on how important those drugs were, he was a little confused and felt bad about leaving home without his medication. I immediately thought of what options we might have, there is one big drugstore just around the corner from our hotel, but could they issue drugs without prescription? In Greece, it is not a problem, it can be done. So we got everything he needed except the most important drug. He told me that he really could not do without it. I was really worried and anxious I had no idea what to do. Phoned colleagues in Athens and they in turn phoned our house doctor, etc… the replacement drug was found around 4pm. Then casually my Dad empties his suitcase and what does he find, all his medication neatly packed. I was so relieved, travelling with an elderly person can be stressful. So the crisis is averted.

I pray to all Orthodox Christian Saints in Greece that this is the only crisis we have on this trip.

We did have a good lunch in the Plaka, he had a vegetable and fish soup, the fish was really a big piece, he ate it all and then had dessert and coffee. He is having a nap now.

Our hotel room has a great view of the Temple of Olympian Zeus across Syngrou street, Dad wanted to know if they were going to rebuilt it. I said, no its ancient history so it cannot be rebuilt.



3 comments:

  1. Apart from the drama, I would love to be there with you! I have always wanted to see Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I did not need the drama, but he is 80 and it is starting to show, so I have to forgive and just smile and go along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L
    it is wonderful your Dad is still able to travel! My Mom has a small red handbag just for her meds of course her nitro patches are elswhere!
    Enjoy the time with him.
    Dayle

    ReplyDelete