Friday 8 October 2010

Mykonos sunny and quiet day




Our hotel is located on St-Stephan’s beach in Mykonos, away from town and above it all. I can see from the hotel terrace the town and the cruise ships, I do not want to get any closer to it. Mykonos does have that reputation for being vapid, easy drugs and superficiality, sort of a Greek St-Tropez, nouveaux riches. Why are people attracted to this scene, I will never understand.

Early morning in Mykonos, a 4 masted schooner sails into port.

We had a lovely dinner at our hotel, very good sword fish and grilled vegetables and a nice dessert for my Dad. George and Poppy are great and friendly hosts.
Laurent at St-Stephan's Beach, Mykonos. (This is what 74kg looks like, sexy!)

I call old age a thief, it robs you of what you were and serves you all manner of indignities. I look at my Dad and I see a anxious, scared old man, who worries about nothing and everything, who depends on me to make this trip safe. He is in a foreign land but he wants to be reassured. He gets lost in his story telling and does not know why, he has become forgetful, confused and tired. I have been reassuring with him, telling him little jokes to make him laugh and feel better. The roles are reversed, he was the parent and me the kid, now I am the one with the authority and he is the dependent, as a child you do not want to see your parents in that position, but old age makes it so in a cruel way, I feel like Aeneas with his father Anchises, this is why I call old age a thief.

**Aeneas was the son of Anchises and Venus. He was a cousin of King Priam of Troy, and was the leader of Troy's Dardanian allies during the Trojan War. After the fall of Troy, he led a band of Trojan refugees to Italy and became the founder of Roman culture 


3 comments:

  1. a very good picture caro... and hey on you even kg78 looked sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will thank you, you are sweet.

    ReplyDelete