Saturday 23 April 2011

Yunnan Tea

When I was in China I discovered that the number of variety of teas was truly large. All teas originally came from China only much later under stealth did the British manage to steal some plants and develop rival red tea (dark) plantations in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and India.
One tea I like is the strong dark Yunnan tea which comes in a paper wrapper, the tea itself is dried up into a hard biscuit like shape.  With a knife you cut off what you need to make a pot and had nice clean (spring like) fresh water boiling hot of course.

Yunnan tea is also sold in other shapes like a pumpkin or like a gourd. The more it is aged the more expensive it is. Some tea is very expensive, a bit like a good bottle of wine or a rare vintage. Yunnan tea is a nice drink, relaxing and pungent in smell and taste. It has an elegant quality, it is to me what tea is suppose to be.

This label certifies provenance of the tea and was given to me by my friend Yi (Jack) in Beijing who loves a good cup of tea.
the dry and hard tea cookie is about 8 inches in diameter or 20 cm

this one is dated 2006-08-04

1 comment:

  1. Yunnan tea is my favorite for making sun tea
    it doesn t get bitter for sitting out in a glass jar for hours at a time.
    delicious !

    ReplyDelete