Saturday 30 April 2011

On this day, 29 April 2011


This Friday morning in Rome we watched the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding live from Westminster Abbey. I remember in 1981 the wedding of the Prince of Wales and Diana Spencer, in my mind it was a more formal affair in a much larger church, St-Paul. Westminster Abbey built in 1066 has a certain ancient air about which only old stones can convey, if only they could speak. Every coronation has taken place at Westminster Abbey except for Edward V and Edward VIII.
The couple looked genuinely happy, they have know each other for some years. You have to give it to the British they certainly know how to do such events, down to the speakers who have the voice and demeanour for such an occasion. I could not help think that one day Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge will be King and Queen of Canada, the first Dominion of the Commonwealth, an ancient bond, such imagery moves me. Let’s only hope that they will be happy in their new life. Best Wishes to them.
H.R.H. Prince William and H.R.H. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

1 comment:

  1. I am of British origin; and this all makes me beam with pride and good feelings. I wish I could have lived to see 2066, when they celebrate 1000 years on the throne.

    ReplyDelete