Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter Sunday in Rome

This morning is or was a bit cloudy, from the satellite picture I see that the Italian peninsula has a big band of clouds coming at us from Spain. But now the Sun is shining and from my widow I look over the park around our building and the birds are singing. The neighbourhood is very quiet and the dogs are sleeping in the sunshine. We live just outside the Aurelian walls at Porta Pia and this is largely a residential area but we do have our monuments, what would be Rome without them.

The Easter bunny has been by and got my little surprise when I woke up. Easter in Italy is a bigger festival than Christmas, it is the main religious holiday. Today as we have done for the last 4 years we will go to our friends house for lunch. We are 9 guests this year, will have all the traditional Italian foods for lunch which, on the first year in Italy, were a bit of a mystery to me. The food is associated with luck and good health and blessings, a mixture of old Pagan rituals from Roman Antiquity and Christian beliefs. Will is bringing  a Pastiera which he made from an old Neapolitan family recipe.

The list of guests promises to be interesting, S. always invites the most interesting people.

Also today I read a very interesting and thoughtful entry this morning by a fellow blogger  Ur-Spo of World Press on Easter from the Gospel of St-Mark and it gave me something to think about in a positive way. In it he says so much of our life's are spent worrying about things when we should instead trust in the future and in life.

As I write this my two puppies Nicky and Nora are sleeping on my lap.
Happy Easter day to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment