Sunday 30 May 2010

toy soldiers new addition



In my ever growing collection of toy soldiers I bought more in Vienna, found a little shop down a street near our hotel. It was full of stuff, old pictures, 19th century helmets of various regiments with plumes, even silver tread embroidered and plumed ambassadors bicorne, once worn as part of Court dress, lots of beautiful officers swords, both military and diplomatic. The workmanship that produced such weapons, very fine, some blades where etched with patriotic calls to duty. What was in the store must be at least 100 years old. Much of it from the last days of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which also included the ex-Yugoslavia, Czech republic (then called Bohemia) and the Slovak republic which was an integral part of Hungary until 1918.

Lots of beautiful medals and large star shaped decorations and sash, all in very good condition. Probably families selling off heirlooms of days long gone.
Also of course of prime interest to me was the lead soldiers 54 mm, medium quality production. I needed to supplement my Austria contingent. I also needed a Napoleon since I now had a Duke of Wellington from my February trip to London. I also bought quite a few soldiers in London, mostly British troops under General Wolfe.
Here are a few photos of these latest additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment