Thursday 6 May 2010

Greece austerity, votes 172 for to 121 against



I just saw the vote in the Greek Parliament, the photos of the crowds outside Parliament on Syntagma Square an area I know very well since I stay in that area when I am in Athens. The austerity is harsh and for the Greek people this is a very difficult time and it will continue to be difficult for years to come. I have friends in Greece and I think of them and how they will do in this time of crisis.
Greece is a special place, every time I go to Athens I always go up to the Acropolis to see the Parthenon.
To me this says Western Civilization like no other places on Earth, this is our inheritance and our values. I am not Greek but nonetheless feel a connection with the place. This is why all this news of austerity and budget and sacrifice is such sad news. But as a professor of the University of Athens said tonight on the BBC World News, those who are responsible for this situation are not going to pay, it is like all crisis the citizens foot the bill. That has to stop, in any democracy, no one should be allowed to take advantage of citizens and if parliamentarians fail in their duty to protect the citizens, then they should be prosecuted.

2 comments:

  1. I'm only just now beginning to catch up on the crisis in Greece..Things just seem to be going to hell everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italy, Spain, Portugal are next and other countries in Europe, England is not too far on the list. Irresponsible politicians who only thought of getting re-elected and greedy bankers. This is what happens.

    ReplyDelete