Sunday 29 August 2010

BBC Radio World Service


I was posted to Cairo in 1989, I had a Sony short wave radio which I would put in my car a VW Jetta. It picked up the BBC World Service signal quite easily no matter where I went in Cairo or Egypt. The theme is a popular song or military march that Henry Purcell adapted and called Lillibullero, it played on the hour for the news broadcast. This was the old BBC not the sad British CNN it has become today due to budget cuts and shortfalls. In many ways it was that Britain between Churchill and Thatcher, years before the buffoonery of Tony Blair.

3 comments:

  1. I am told the BBC used to purposely hire only the most articulate of English speakers; it was a joy to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But surely the World Service is still infinitely the best of the BBC channels? I always know when I'm listening to it and when I'm stuck in the domestic trivia of Radio 4. But I know from bitter experience that its classical music coverage was more or less axed and you're right, the same programmes do come round too often. But many are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed BBC Radio is unique and I enjoy listening to it despite the modern touches.

    ReplyDelete