Monday 23 August 2010

Back to work

Today was my first day back at work after my summer vacation, I did not sleep well last night and was a bit tired today. Well summer is ending and amongst my emails today waiting was "The List" , yes the list of choices for the future, for summer 2011, where will we go? This time around, I do not know what to make of the list, not many choices of interest to me, after all these years and all the travel. There are so many things to consider. The names have changed I do not know most of the people on the list, new recruits, so few familiar faces left, all retired. Our life in Rome is fairly comfortable, despite the fact that Rome can be a difficult city to live in at the best of times, with its high density, traffic,noise,chaos, tourists. Where do you go from here, what other city compares. I have lived in Beijing,Cairo,Mexico City, Chicago,Warsaw, Amman, all have their qualities but Rome is unlike all others, probably because it is the city that symbolizes western cultures like Athens is the symbol of western democracy and values. But Rome also has that style, la bella figura that you do not encounter anywhere else.

I am also tired of moving and soon enough we will have to think hard about the move and all that it implies. Well for the time being let's keep on smiling and enjoy Rome.

2 comments:

  1. L:
    Goodness, is it about time for a move? It really does feel as though you've only arrived a few months ago--but perhaps that's because I drop in less frequently than others.
    You've had such a full and rich time in Rome, I'll be very interested to hear what the next venue will be.

    For now, wish you a good end to the summer.

    --markb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it has, I know now that I have to move in 11 months but to what destination I will not know for at least another 4 months. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete