Tuesday 18 November 2014

L'Hiver et la froidure

On this 18 November the weather in Ottawa has taken a decidedly wintery look, the sidewalks are icy  and the snow is a light hard icy cover. Our Nicky is not happy, he hates the cold so does Nora but she is tougher and won't complain as much as him.

The air is crisp and there is a smell of wood burning in someone's fireplace. No wonder I am thinking of Christmas.  My friend Dr. Spo in Arizona says it is around 14C right now and he is thinking of making hot coco, I am also thinking at -7C of hot coco. The winter night sky is dark blue and we have been having strong cold winds or rafale de vent.

All this to say that it feels like the Christmas Season already. Which brings to mind our annual little trip to the Christmas Market in Munich or Bologna, two different countries but each have a fun market with lots of cold weather and good food.
This little video is of the Christmas Market in Munich, we were there at the time when this video was done. Love Munich at this time of year, so beautiful and so much fun.



I also downloaded my Advent Calendar and started to play with the different functions, like making snowflakes, I like this one and they are easy to make.  I can then insert them into the Advent calendar scene and they flutter down.


I also decorated the Xmas tree which goes into the scene of the calendar and it changes everyday as we get closer to Christmas. The Advent Calendar has lots of items to choose from and you can decorate the tree in many various fashions. This is what I did today.


Some music by Emile Waldteufel, Les patineurs Valse. Because soon if this cold weather keeps us we will be skating on the Rideau Canal.





12 comments:

  1. It's too early now stop it or I'll take the Advent calendar back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the Christmas market in Munich. Denver has one but it just doesn't have the same feeling as being in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been twice and love the Christmas market atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. The Dresden Christmas market is wonderful as well and you get to walk around and drink the wonderful Glühwein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All so beautiful and heart-warming (even the music)! I love seeing cities at Christmas time... my after all these years living in tropical climes, my blood has gotten too thin to stand that for long! Thanks for giving me the experience... without the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. living in an area with no snow and hardly any cold makes the christmas season not very magical. This displaced midwesterner needs some snow for his hohoho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could come up to Ottawa for Xmas, I mean it. HoHoHo!

      Delete
    2. I have to work the next day.

      Delete
    3. really??? the next day? gee, hey wait a minute it's Boxing Day it's another holiday. Oh I forgot you are in that country where there is no holidays.

      Delete