Friday 11 June 2010

memories of past summer vacations c.1961


I don't know why but today I had this thought, I remember that back in 1960 or 61 we use to go on vacation with my parents to Old Orchard Beach, Maine. We would spend a week at this place right off the board walk, it was very simple, wood cabanas big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, simple beds and a hot plate to make simple meals on, no TV or radio. The whole point of the vacation was that you would spend your days at the beach, have sandwiches at lunch some french fries, at night have a simple dinner and retire early.
I was a little kid back then maybe 5 or 6 yrs old, but I do remember Old Orchard beach vividly, the place we stayed at was owned by a US veteran from WWII, there was about 20 cabanas all together and in the middle this huge or what appeared to my eyes as a huge green grass area and in the centre this flag pole made of wood and painted white, it was very tall I thought and this pole was surrounded by painted white round rocks and every morning Paul, the veteran would raise old glory and at sunset he would bring the flag down. He did it in silence and us kids knew to be quiet when he did his flag raising or lowering. The beach was clean and it was mostly young families. We got sunburned and we played in the sun and surf all day, that was it, very simple but so much fun, I still to this day have memories of this place every time I smell Coppertone Coco butter Sun Lotion, strange how the memory of those summers on the beach stayed with me all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment