Sunday 12 July 2009

Athens

I arrived this afternoon in Athens, the weather scattered clouds and sunshine. My previous post had Melina Mercouri singing and now sitting on the balcony of my hotel room I am looking at the Olympian Zeus Temple and the ancient Olympic stadium behind. My hotel is in the Plaka and behind it is the Acropolis. Could not be better, well maybe if Will was here too.

To listen to her sing, her monument is just a few steps away, and looking out at Athens is really great.
Many people say they prefer Rome, but you know that when you look at the ruins here, this is the original stuff and it is more evocative.
Going for a walk now to see if I can get tickets for the New Acropolis Museum, only 1 Euro.

5 comments:

  1. Wish I were there with you. Don't have too good a time without me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should bring Willym back a T-Shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes A T-shirt the perfect souvenir. He will really like that to go with his collection of other Greece T-shirts. LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a t shirt would be good .. something which says " He went to Athens and all I got was this lousy T shirt" .. gegeege

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha OOOOH.. i stayed in the skanky district of Omonia :P

    (schaeffer here)

    ReplyDelete