Friday 2 March 2012

30+ years

Today at coffee time I was honoured by my employer for 30 years of service, it is in fact 32 years now but that is beside the point. Our Director General and my Director said some very nice things on my achievements and contributions and how much it is appreciated. They presented me with a Long Service Certificate on behalf of the Prime Minister and our Deputy Minister, there was also a small gift. What surprised me though, was another Certificate in this presentation which read as follows: ''In recognition of your years of service to the Nation a tree has been planted in honour of your dedication to the government of Canada. Now your contribution will be forever part of the landscape of Canada''. I was very surprised by this gesture and was speechless, it means a lot to me personally to be recognized in such a way. I was told that the foundation Tree Canada which is involved in environmental projects has planted 75 million trees since 1992. The tree or my tree, in this case, is in Sudbury, Ontario and is part of a vast plan to reforest and restore the environment of the town devastated by mining for the last 80 years. So far 3200 hectares have been restored.

At the same time I felt a little old, when I joined the Service there were typewriters like the IBM Selectric and telex machines, the war in Vietnam had ended just 5 years previously, no computers or any of the gadgets we have today. Our way of working was so different, our Director General spoke on that and I did too, my colleagues are about 20 to 25 years younger than me, it felt a bit like a Jurasic Park moment. I also felt nostalgic, thinking of all the things I had accomplished and all the places I had been around the world, so many memories, I thought of Mountolive, Balthazar and Justine, the characters in the book of Lawrence Durrell, of receiving as a gift in 1983 the Satow which was written by Sir Ernest Satow and edited in its fifth edition by Lord Gore-Booth, a book I have often consulted during my career.
Someone asked, will you retire now, to which I answered, no I want to make it to 50 years of service because I hear they give you a brand new Subaru, everyone laughed, I have no such intention.

                                                    Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations Laurent!!!

    CP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Do you know where the tree is?
    Dayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to join the conga line of congratulations! Indeed!
    You look stunning in your suit.

    By the way, what sort of tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is a Maple and was planed here in Ontario, now the exact location I am not quite sure but I am trying to find out.

      Delete
  4. sugar or silver - or a nasty Norwegian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was told it would be in the region of the city of Sudbury, Ontario which is a mining area in great need of re-forestation and I think this is a wonderful idea. I will get more info on the exact location and what type of tree later. Will advise.

      Delete
    2. I am sure it is a sugar maple, a real Canadian Maple tree.

      Delete